“I am looking for my purpose.” “I want to live a purposeful life.” “I want to know why I am here on earth.” Have you ever heard someone make those statements? Maybe you, yourself have said them?
I have memories of sitting on my bed writing pages and pages of what I thought I wanted to do with my life and reading books upon books about living on purpose and doing God’s will for my life.
I was happy and excited that I was being “purposeful.” But here’s the thing, many of the books I read told me about how to “find” my purpose and how to use what I’m good at to fulfill my purpose. But none of them told me what it took, to live a life of purpose. To go from “finding your purpose” to actually living out the big picture of the reality. Yes! What it took! The tears and frustration: the doubts and the fear. The disappointments and the joys, oh, the joys!
And here’s the thing, if you are willing and ready to live a life of purpose you are probably wondering the same thing! What exactly does it take to “do this?” What does it take to step out on faith and do what God has placed a desire in your heart for? What will it take to bring forth the greatness you know you have within you that is waiting to break forth and be the change? Well, let me give you some wisdom. Some “learn from experience” that can assist you as you travel the path God has ordained for you. First, let me make this statement:
Living a life full of purpose means that it will take all of who you are – the physical, mental and physical self – the whole you, to become the person and do the thing that God has already decreed over your life.
Some real life information on what it takes to walk the walk.
- Living a life of purpose is a journey, a transition from where you are to where and how God needs you to be. You don’t wake up one morning and “find” your purpose after searching for ever and then think like is going to be a bunch of roses. No, it’s hard work and commitment and obedience to the Almighty.
- To live a life of purpose you are always learning and growing. You strive to gain wisdom, knowledge and understanding. There is always knowledge that God is imparting into you whether through life circumstances, others or —. If you don’t learn you can’t grow. If you don’t and won’t grow then its hard press for God to use you like He needs to. At each intersection of life you should have learned the lesson from the previous and get ready to learn for the one you are about to embark on. It is a continuous process!
- To live a life of purpose means to encompass the whole you. What does that mean? It means it takes all the parts of a car to get it to move in the direction it needs to go in. Well, so it is with our bodies. It means working on relationships, getting finances in order, taking care of our bodies, renewing our minds, learning and understanding what makes us unique and how God can and will utilize your strengths. It means understanding the spiritual realm better, learning become.
- Living a life of purpose means as you grow your faith should be growing. You are deeper in the Word of God. You study more and you no longer want or need baby food. If God allows a test you’ll be able to recognize it for what it is and stand. Your prayer life is better, stronger and you truly understand that your walk is spiritual and not physical. It means stepping out into the unknown and taking chances, big chances, chances that maybe no one else taken.
- To live a life of purpose mean at times you may experience, fear and insecurities. Feeling frustrated, overwhelmed, tired, and alone and fear may arise. Trials and tears, temptation to do things on your own and in a hurry because you feel God isn’t listening or taking too long. It means having and learning patience! It means there may be times finances may look funny instead of happy. It may mean staying up at 2am or 3am in the morning to work on projects, or having to learn how to use a program or do something – and possibility of tearing your hair out! – Because you don’t have the staff or the resources yet to do the work. It means when people can’t see what you see and try to bring you down with doubt, you stand on the promise God showed you. You trust Him.
- To live a life of purpose means loving life and what you do, what God has placed a desire in your heart to manifest. It means standing firm in your convictions, your desires. Standing strong, tall, bold, and proud! It means having fun, laughing at where you were, where you are going and enjoying the ride. It means gaining new insights, new friends and helping to change lives. It means walking in your greatness. Being a leader and serving the Body of Christ with the gifts God placed within you. It means being totally committed and knowing without a shadow of a doubt there is no turning back.
So there you go. Some tidbit personal insights to get you thinking! Doing what God has placed on your heart to do is a wonderful thing! But you we have to understand that it’s not all a bunch of roses. At the end of the day, saying yes and truly doing and becoming that person is all worth the effort.
Live your life on purpose. A life full of all God says is possible. Look for resources to help you and the Holy Spirit to guide you.
Stand in your greatness! Do, act, become! With God all things are possible!
©2012 Tereciah V. Smithen-Quintana